April 2022 Meeting Minutes

Recording for meeting:
https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/fHE-8nQEMzE9Yxr9peNdHp5ZuCMoMKoBjovotAdOyqqqXBy7enYiLW6O1iCwtyEn.G0H9XOKfU7XrEBdf

Access Passcode: iA&.1mNf

Voting results for 284 Maverick St.

  • Yes: 9
  • No: 5

Notes

  • Announcements (5 min)
  • Community updates (20 min)
    • Boston Police Dept. update from Officer Curtis Mosley
      • Rise in shots fired and gun arrest – be mindful and careful of your area
        • Recovered 4 firearms recovered last week
        • On Liverpool St., there has been 2 incidents
      • Telephone scams seem to be decreasing
      • Fraud report with Bitcoin
      • Central Sq. still seeing shoplifting
      • Several citations on public drinking
      • Car breaks and catalytic thefts still seem to be issue
      • Commercial plates issues in the Eagle Hill area
      • There was a body found near the old casket – State Trooper leading efforts
      • Drug arrest that happened near South Bremen St. area
      • On 4/23, there was an arrest for aggravated assault near S. Bremen St.
    • Water and sewer pipe replacement in Gove Street area
      • There is ongoing water main, sewer drains, and pipes infrastructure being updated in the Gove Street neighborhood. 
      • BWSC is asking us to separate existing combined sewers in East Boston. This includes the replacement of approximately 3,950 linear feet of combined sewers / sanitary sewers, and the installation of 7,355 linear feet of storm drains. This work also includes installing 8,800 linear feet of water mains, and the rehabilitation of approximately 2,310 linear feet of existing wastewater pipes. 
    • Upcoming Blue Line service disruption: shuttle buses and ferries
      • Blue line diversion taking place from 4/25 to 5/8. Buses will be running from Government Center to Airport. There’s also ferries shuttling individuals between the Lewis Mall and Long Wharf.
      • Later, there are blue line diversions May 12 to May 29 between Orient Heights and Wonderland
    • East Boston neighborhood liaison, Nathalia Benitez-Perez Updates on fire at 183 Maverick Street in February
      • Coffee Hour with the Mayor on 5/4 from 9:30-10:30 am – there will be iced coffee and plants; also BPD will be present
      • Rodent walk with Office of inspectional services taking place next week. Please add areas to address to Nathalia
      • Subscribe to Nathalia’s newsletter: https://newsletters.boston.gov/subscribe?category=My%20Neighborhood 
      • Fire at 194 Maverick – last 
        • 89 Orlean St. occupants have been taken cared of by insurance
        • 91-93 Orlean St. most residents are staying with family and friends; Noah has been helping with; if you drop anything off, please email Nathalia (nathalia.benitezperez@boston.gov)
      • Neighborhood clean up can share tools – can work with Public Works
      • Flight attendant crash pad on Geneva Street
        • Fire department went to location, which then brought forth ISD and it was deemed as an environment not suitable for living
        • The owner is working with ISD to see if this can be addressed
      • Natasha Perez on Bremen/Orleans project
  • Piers Park III design update, Boston Waterfront Initiative Trustees (10 min)
    • Providing update of the improved design based on community feedback
      • Added space for more than one access point
      • Added space for water taxi dock
    • There’s a new feedback sharing feature on the website: https://onewaterfront.thetrustees.org/feedback 
    • Upcoming programming:
    • Waterfront ambassadors:
  • Vote on 284 Maverick Street development project, Drago and Toscano, LLP (10 min)
    • Update from Matt Eckel and Christopher Flass
    • Questions: Is this on two parcels? No, just one parcel.
      • Comments on liking the updated siding and color updates.
      • Can there be openings on the side? The building code would not allow for it.
      • What is the heating system? All electric. Could be placed on the roof.
      • Can you lower the height of the building? Most likely not given wanting to keep the ceilings at a minimum of 8’4”.
      • Did you receive a refusal letter from ISD? Yes
      • Did this present to JPNA? This only presented to GSCA
      • Is this a rental or for sale? A renta

April 2022 Meeting

We plan to host the next meeting on Monday, April 25, 2022 at 6:30 PM

  • Announcements (5 min)
    • SPARK Boston meetup on Tues., April 26, 6-8PM, at The Quiet Few
    • Stand Up for Eastie petition meetups on Sat., May 7th
  • Community updates (20 min)
    • Boston Police Dept. update from community officer
    • Water and sewer pipe replacement in Gove Street area
    • Upcoming Blue Line service disruption: shuttle buses and ferries
    • East Boston neighborhood liaison, Nathalia Benitez-Perez Updates on fire at 183 Maverick Street in February
      • Flight attendant crash pad on Geneva Street
      • Natasha Perez on Bremen/Orleans project
  • Piers Park III design update, Boston Waterfront Initiative Trustees (10 min)
  • Vote on 284 Maverick Street development project, Drago and Toscano, LLP (10 min)

Please register in advance:

https://us06web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0tdeugpzkpH9Bzq4GUZERV0skxMkHYbYaT

March 2022 Meeting Minutes

Meeting recording

https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/ioEpzOfucH9ZTKDJTAYzvZMvuPz8MUJcqoaHrqCBL6PmJDDUvHQAHrJ3m5h1wWOt.urm9IpAOBi_A4zIT?startTime=1648506784000

(Passcode: hw$%%U3M)

Boston Police Department officer, Sgt. Cintolo (5 min)

  • Neighborhood updates:
    • 3/27: on Marion St. there have been package thefts; Orleans and Porter St. had a motor vehicle accident
    • 3/20: Individual sustained minor injuries
    • This past weekend there were some OUI arrest. D-7 has been increasing presence.
    • 3/23: stabbing at Porter; 2 injuries who were not Boston
    • A scooter was stolen at Chelsea St. and Maverick St.
    • 196 Chelsea – domestic disturbance;
    • Bremen: Assault and battery between two known individuals
    • No recent house breaks and robberies
  • Reminders
    • Reminder that commercial vehicle is not allowed overnight
    • Keep doors locked and any possessions in vehicles out of view
    • Reach out to Cintolo about Hub program

East Boston liaison to mayor’s office, Nathalia Benitez-Perez (5 min)

  • Blue Line – closing April 2nd to April 14th due to maintenance
  • Coffee with Michele Wu – location TBD
    • May 4th at East Boston Memorial Park, Tentative time is 9:30 am.
    • Still waiting for confirmation. Please come if you can, this is a great opportunity to talk to the Mayor, other elected officials and ask questions about specific issues involved since we’ll have many departments there to answer.
  • Questions:
    • What is the city doing with rat issue near Gove St?
      • Information forthcoming for walkthrough by inspectional services
  •  Contact info: nathalia.benitezperez@boston.gov

Bremen & Orleans Development Project, Natasha Perez (5 min)

  • Continuing process with BPDA – working on incorporating recommendations into design
    • Aiming to present an updated design in future Gove Street meeting
  • Questions:
    • When is construction supposed to start?
      • No. Still very early in the process with BPDA.
    • Can community weigh into process with development?
      • There was initial community input. All of this will be directed to the developers, including the developers.
      • Will there be more Impact Advisory Group (IAG) meetings?
        • The city may decide the plans for meetings. There have been two meetings, but there has not yet been additional ones.
        • Can connect with Jason at BPDA on process
    • How will Porter St. support auto-rich projects
      • There are a series of traffic studies that have to be reviewed with the city. 
    • For follow-up questions, perez_natasha@outlook.com

Signatures to put Andrea Campbell on ballot for Attorney General (1 min)

  • Cheryl Harding, Field Director, Andrea Campbell campaign
    • She needs 10K signatures to get on the ballot by May 1st
    • Volunteer event taking place on Thursday 3/30 in Dorchester
    • Cheryl@andreacampbell.org 857-251-2193 Thank you

284 Maverick Street Development, Drago and Toscano, LLP – Community Presentation (30 min)

  • Introduction
    • Presentation by Jeffrey Drago
    • Developer: Odessit Capital
    • Seeking to erect a new four-unit building
    • Lot size: 1924 sq.ft.
  • Presentation link: 
  • Use area is 3F, seeking 4F variance. Total of 7 variances.
  • Questions
    • Is there a headhouse built?
      • No.
    • Comments about the exterior colors of the building being dull
    • What are the proposed units?
      • Currently they are proposed rentals
      • 3 bedroom; 2 bath
      • Units are around 1,150 sq. ft.
    • Concerns about lack of elevator in the building
      • Common to not have elevator in the building
    • Where does storage and heating/electrical going?
      • Heating and electrical units will be located within each unit
      • Storage for trash is located in the back
    • How many variances will be requested?
      • 7 variances
    • Will there be green space in the back?
      • Yes
    • How do you maintain and repair the walls with only a 2 1/2 ft space — over the many years the building will be standing
      • This is typical of new constructions. If there are any major leaks, this will be addressed from within the building.
    • When can we vote on this project?
      • Meeting can take place next month

“Loftel” Development Project at Orleans/Porter (175 Orleans Street), Richard Lynds – Community Updates (30 min)

  • Updates:
    • Work has started on the building – with windows being installed
    • Expected to completely rehab the building to convert into a 123 room hotel
    • There will be 65 parking slots
    • There had been delays due to telecommunication installation. This was important to get this in place.
    • Full service restaurant and lounge will be available open to the public
    • Updates to the masonry, but minimal changes overall
    • There will be new plants/trees that will be installed along Porter and Orlean, as well as at the parking lot
  • Developer commitments:
    • Installation of new lighting around the perimeter of the building to improve pedestrian safety
    • Public realm improvements, including new landscaping, reconstructed sidewalks
    • Creation of 150 construction jobs over the course of project
    • Creation of 20 permanent full-time jobs
    • Commitment of up to $10K to repairs of Porter St. bridge to either City of Boston or Commonwealth of Mass.
    • Place and manage trash cans along the adjacent streets
    • Provide access for neighbors to use hotel’s parking lots during snow and state emergencies provided spaces are available above those required by hotel guests
    • Provide or pay for the costs associated of Zoom account used by GSCA
    • Grant permission to use to host the monthly board and member meetings
    • Contribute $5K for 10 years towards cost of regular maintenance to the Greenway
  • Questions and comments
    • Are some of the 65 off-street parking spaces available for non-hotel guests who may be eating at the restaurant?
      • Prioritized for hotel occupants. But this could be made possible.
    • Is the restaurant and lounge already chosen? Average hotel room costs?
      • Currently seeking to have hotel operator run the restaurant and lounge
    • Please make as many trees as possible
      • Need to make sure the installation of trees will meet city of Boston’s requirements for sidewalk width
    • The prior community-approved agreement included that the entrance to the parking would be on Frankfort, and that cars would enter on Frankfort and exit on Orleans (or vice-versa) to minimize traffic. This looks like it has changed, and that would, I believe, invalidate the previous agreement
      • Cars will enter on Porter St and go through circulator to exit on Orleans St.
      • Project plan was reviewed by BPDA
    • What will the landscape look like? Lighting?
      • There will be 5’ landscape along the side
      • Back will be a driveway
      • Can work on fence to mitigate the noise
      • Lighting study included in the original submitted – has been reviewed by BPDA
    • Which part of the window façade will be repaired?
      • Plan is to repair 70% of the façade. Wait until the structural repair for the column can be done. Then complete the rest of the façade repair
    • Will any on-street parking be eliminated?
      • None will be eliminated.
    • What is the plan to/from airport?
      • Goal is to not have any vans
    • What is the branding?
      • Cambria Hotel
    • How long will construction take?
      • Aiming to wrap up by end of 2023/summer 2024. But this is dependent on supply chain and minimized impacts by COVID
    • What are the construction times?
      • Work under permit can take place: M-F 7 am until 5 pm 
      • Heavy construction can only start after 8 am
    • What is the off-street parking?
      • 65 parking spaces were approved prior by BPDA; it is a 50% parking-to-room
      • Most of the attendees will be flying/into airport
      • Parking will be charged comparable to other hotels in the area
    • When was the developer commitments made?
      • In Article 80, there are several requirements to obtain a certificate from BPDA. Developer has to make commitments for the community.
    • Who will be moving the telecommunication equipment?
      • A combination of Jamsan contractors and the telecommunication company at the expense of Jamsan.